Dunstanburgh Castle lies on a spectacular headland on the coast of Northumberland, between the villages of Craster and Embleton. Construction of the castle was started in 1313 by the Earl of Lancaster. In the Wars of the Roses the castle was held for the Lancastrians in 1462 and 1464. The damage done was not made good and the castle fell steadily into decay. It continued to deteriorate and was robbed of stone for other buildings in the area.
William Turner painted Dunstanburgh Castle many times.
The castle is now owned by the National Trust and in the care of English Heritage.
View larger map of Dunstanburgh Castle